The YCI Immersion Class is a unique opportunity to learn Yoruba in a dynamic, immersive and supportive environment using film and music in addition to traditional book work. All courses are taught by experienced instructors who are also native Yoruba speakers.
The Winter 2017 Session begins on January 16 and includes evening and weekend classes.
- Evening classes run from 6:30 to 8pm Monday/Wednesday OR Tuesday/Thursday.
- Weekend classes run from 10am to 1pm on Saturdays.
- All courses take place in our Bedford Stuyvesant location.
Please review Tuition & Fee information before registering.
[learn_more caption=”Curriculum Details”]
Students will master Yoruba language basics and learn about Yoruba language and culture through films, music and dialogues with a Yoruba Native-speaker Instructor with a solid record of success.
Course includes leading Yoruba Instructional materials from Nigerian authors, musicians and filmmakers.
- Basic structures of Yoruba grammar
- Classroom Expressions
- Sentence Building (affirmative and negative statements)
- Asking Questions
- Adjectives / Adverbs
- Students will build communicative skills with participation in role-plays and social activities that increase their conversational abilities in Yoruba and build their confidence
- Students also regularly participate in individual and group dialogue presentations, building their oral presentation skills.
- Curated Yoruba Music
- mp3 Downloads for Yoruba voice dialogues
- Curated Yoruba films
- Support in travel to Nigeria
- Two (2) Yoruba language books (students must purchase Beginner’s Yoruba & Je Ka So Yoruba)
- One Yoruba Dictionary ( students must purchase Yoruba: Modern Practical Dictionary )
- Digital voice recorder ( most smartphone recorders are sufficient )
++Africans in the Diaspora who are interested in learning their native languages (other than Yoruba) should contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the language that you would like to learn in order to receive information about classes.++
Use the form below to register for classes. Once this form is submitted, you will be sent an invoice in order to pay for and complete your registration.